Now that my trees have been tucked away for the winter, I thought I’d take a really quick second to post progress on my favorite tree.
After a 4 hour workshop I had roughed out the primary structure of the tree. There were some thick branches on the top of the tree, and others that were out of place, but for the health of the tree we left these in place for the time being. The goal for the summer of 2012 was to improve the ramification of the branches and help the tree regain its vigor after the hard pruning.
The tree really responded well considering how hard we had cut it back. There were lots of new leaves especially sprouting from the trunk and old wounds. The tree was fertilized through the summer and fall. It really paid off as the tree flushed out very vigorously in the spring. I spent the entire spring and summer trying to keep up with cutting back the shoots. In the fall when the leaves fell off I did a second basic wiring and removed some branches I intended to replace.
On the advice of Owen Reich, I rotated the the tree 45 degrees counter-clockwise and established a new front which helps to eliminate the strait section on the upper half of the trunk. This is by far my favorite tree in my collection. Hopefully Fujikawa-San approves 🙂